Friday, October 06, 2006

HYDRANGEA HEAVEN


Rarely do I get an opportunity to see a back yard like this, let alone work in one. My only disappointment was that the summer was over and fall was breathing down my neck so I had to work fast. Still, in a space like this, how could you go wrong? I wish I had taken a picture of it before I weeded. There was nothing unusual in the beds, just native weeds and a few dead birds. Other than that, it's filled with brand new soil and best of all, it's full of worms.

First I found out what the owner liked and then I went on a search for late season plants. Check out the butterfly bushes, "black knight" in the corners. Next year they will be twice the size and full of dark purple blooms. The center is an herb and perennial garden in Fall hues. And the bird bath was added as well.

Look at these Japanese Maples! Sculpture! Art! I can't keep my eyes off of them. And in the beds are nestled hundreds of tulip and crocus bulbs waiting patiently for spring. I covered them in wire mesh and mulched. I cross my fingers that the city squirrels don't get through and find them. I used over ten bags of the mulch you see on the right. The buddha watches and protects it all.

This picture does not do the garden justice. Didn't I tell you I'm still learning my camera? Still, this was taken the day after a big storm. Can you see the hydrangeas in the side garden? I found six gorgeous "Unique" plants which in mid summer will bloom 10 inch conical flowers that turn pink as they age into the Fall. Right now they are dormant and healthy. I amended the soil so that it's "hydrangea heaven" in there. Two of them loved it so much that they perked up and flowered again.
There is still so much to be done. But this is more than a good start until the Spring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home